Monday, March 9, 2009

Learning

When I was a kid I pretty much lived on antibiotics. I went from ear infection to ear infection, I always had sore throats and sinus infections, and my last year of high school I had mono three times. I don't think many people knew back then the horrible affects that antibiotics have on our immune system and our health. Since moving to Idaho and being surrounded by a lot of very natural and health conscious people I've become more and more aware of my body and what I put into it. Having Bubby was a HUGE influence on this, I want him to be as healthy as possible. My cousin gave me a book called Super Baby Foods when he was a baby and that was the beginning of my journey to give him the most natural foods possible. He only had a handful of jarred baby foods because I made all of his food organically and by hand. It was actually quiet easy and I felt so much better about what was going into his body. As he gets older I still try my best to keep him away from sugery artificial foods, give him organics whenever possible, and feed him a lot of whole grains. He still to this day eats plain yogurt, which I'm quiet proud of because the yogurt on the shelves now is so full of artificial sweeteners...uhg. I can't stand the stuff myself but I'm glad he can.

I guess my point is, Timmy and I are much healthier than many of the people I know. My ability to fight off sickness amazes me every day. I do my best to stay away from antibiotics and the difference is amazing!!!! Letting my body naturally fight off sickness is so much better and it takes less time. Timmy has only had to be on antibiotics twice in his life for ear infections and he is an incredibly healthy little man! I continually read about nutrition and the more I learn the better health my family is in. Yes I know some of you will read this and say, "but you are overweight, how can you really be that healthy?" True, and screw you for thinking that! By the way I know who you are....!!!! But I know I'm overweight, it is something my grandparents, my parents, and my sister and I all struggle with. It requires re-teaching our bodies to eat foods that they are not used to eating. Growing up it wasn't unusual to eat out a few times a week and so that is what I've also done since moving away. I'm trying to change this but it is a slow process. I'll get there, I won't teach my son the bad habits that I have.

Right now I'm reading a book given to me by one of my moms friends called The Makers Diet. She gave it to me because she had an extra but I don't think she ever really read it. I am NOT a religious person but the book makes sense. I encourage EVERYBODY to read this book and think very hard about the antibiotics and growth hormones and pesticides in our food and what they are doing to our bodies. I will never feed my son milk or meat with these things in it again. I honestly believe that these things are a major factor behind my continuing fertility issues. I'm not trying to preach, I'm not a perfect eater by any means, but I believe small changes help and this book seriously changed my life. Please please please go out and read it.

The whole point of this little tangent is that I have a really sore throat right now and I'm trying my best to be positive when I really just feel like crawling into my bed, sending all the kiddo's home, and turning off the world for a few days. I know this too shall pass but I really hate having a sore throat. So I've decided in addition to what I've already written I'm going to make a list of my favorite things, just to get my mind in a happier place...so here goes:

My favorite things:

Bubby
The beginning of spring when the sun comes back and everything smells new and alive
Camping
Babies
Home
My Mommy
My Sister
Television (its terrible I know but I really love TV)
Nutrition books
Strawberry Milk
My morning coffee
Cream of wheat
The closeness of my family
My husbands wonderful insurance benefits (I can't be thankful enough for these.)
Mangos
Tacos
Peach Pie
The Twilight Books but mostly just Edward Cullen (SWOOOOOOOOOON)
Robert Pattinson (I know, I'm such a teenybopper, how can you not love that boys smile???!!!)
My neices and nephews (I wish I saw them more)
Mac Computers
The smurfs and The Snorks
Boise, I really love where I live!
HOme
HOme
HOme
My friends, I'm so very very thankful for all of my friends, especially my girlies.
Better homes and gardens cook books, they are so awesome
My crockpot
Blogs
Wine
Fondu
My dog
My red chair and my new old couch


Thank you for reading my blog guys, good luck and good health, happy Monday!!!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I am on the same page Dainey. I think although highly controversial there is something to the estrogen dominance idea (fertility effects of pesticides and antibiotics)...

I love your favorites list! Very happy!